[Towertalk] Crank-up install thoughts

JBaumgarte@aol.com JBaumgarte@aol.com
Thu, 2 May 2002 12:44:22 EDT

Even though, at 60, I still do plenty of climbing on my 110' tower, I am
getting smarter and tend to look a little further ahead then I used to.

The fellow with the back-yard install sight for his US Tower 55' has another
option, not mentioned.

Depending on a lot of circumstances, of course, I would consider getting a
BIG crane and doing the job from the front yard, or driveway.  As mentioned,
he would have the base constructed and waiting for the tower.  Coordinate the
unloading from the truck and installation all at one time.  A big crane
(130-140' or so), could easily pick the tower off the truck, boom out far
enough to move it right over the house and make an easy install.  While not
cheap, if everything is set, the job could be done quickly, and I suspect for
$6-700 in my area.  This would make the tilt feature unnecessary.  I believe
that part costs a good portion of the expected crane cost, and think of the
hasstle factor!  As LXC correctly points out, most folks never use the tilt
fixture once the tower is in place.

I plan on doing this when I move in 11 months!  New QTH requires a nesting
tower.

73
John, N0IJ