[Towertalk] ma550

dan hearn dhearn@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 02 May 2002 11:16:49 -0700

I agree 100% with Steve. My TX472 was a bit snug when I first put it up
and had a tendency to stick when lowering if there was any side wind
force. It did not have power pull down. I had to free it up a bit with a
crowbar at the guide angles to make it slide easily.
  I have the tilt over fixture and it is useful only when the tower is
being installed in a horizontal position then lifted into the vertical
position. It appears that this fixture would allow access to the
antenna(s) for work but it is much easier to use an extension ladder
against the side of the tower (retracted position). My ladder has a
horizontal bar bolted across the top and one on the bottom to stabilize
it from twisting. I also have a small pulley attached to the top of the
tower bottom section. A rope goes from the top rung of the ladder thru
the pulley and down to the base of the tower where it is tied. The
bottom of the ladder is about 4-6 feet out from the tower base and the
rope makes the ladder very stable. It is almost like climbing stairs to
go up the ladder. My F12 EF420/240 can be tilted with the boom over the
ladder to access the tuning stubs/coil and coax connect points from the
ladder. I installed an extra long bolt in the upper hole on the
boom/mast plate to allow easy tilting. It works like a charm.

73, Dan, N5AR