[Towertalk] Lightning Protection

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Thu, 16 May 2002 10:19:44 -0400

> In the past, I remember you mentioning the use of common mode
> chokes (air wound) for lightning protection.

I always use air core solenoid chokes when leaving a problem area,
like the bottom of my 300 ft tower.

Broadcast stations with insulated towers often do something similar,
even if it is just a big one turn loop loop.

The impeding coil or choke goes on the tower or antenna side of the
ground point. It adds series reactance, which makes any shunting
impedance more effective.

Almost anything you do to improve RF performance and reduce RFI
improves lightning immunity. They generally go hand-in-hand.73, Tom
W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com