[Towertalk] Last Call May Specials

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Tue, 21 May 2002 15:04:54 EDT

In a message dated 5/21/02 9:09:40 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
alwilliams@olywa.net writes:

> Can these towers provide increased wind loading capability if guyed--

    Self-supporting towers are designed to be unguyed. The limiting factor in
all towers is leg strength which doesn't have anything to do with guying.

    Does the manufacturer recommend you guy it? Don't forget the LXC Prime
Directive to "DO what the manufacturer says".

    These towers have LOTS of windload capacity. It would practically
impossible for a ham to overload one.

>  or are they constrained as crankups are due to the downward pull of
>  the guys?

    Crank-ups are mostly limited by their hoisting cables. I'm not sure what
you mean by "downward pull of the guys" relative to a crank-up which
currently are self-supporting structures.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -