[Towertalk] Attenuation of trees

Jim Ussailis ussailis@equinox.shaysnet.com
Mon, 20 May 2002 23:18:57 -0400 (EDT)

Tree attenuation at 7 MHz? I shouldn't think so. N1CQ and I have agreeded
to disagree on attenuation at HF. My opinion is that I see much more
multipath than attenuation at 700 MHz and 2400 MHz, so that the
attenuation at HF must be small, as foilage attenuation increases with
frequency.

As I recall, the attenuation at 50 MHz was only a couple dB in a
rainforest. I also recall 4 dB into a wood frame house at 850 MHz.

Someday I'll measure it.

A comment on vertcals.

Try a full quaterwave on 40, with as many radials as you can deal with.
Don't believe the quarterwave radial stuff. Make them as long as you can.
I often use this antenna for things like field day. It gets out very well.

Normally I have about 33 ft of aluminum tower sections, or about 35 ft of
2" irrigation tubing. For the tower I've used a plastic milk carton for
an insulator, For the tubing I have used a glass soda bottle(we get them
here). I've also used a plastic "closet flange" turned upside down (that is
the thing that attaches a toilet to the sewer pipe).

For radials, I came across two 4K ft reels of #14 appliance wire a few
years ago. I leave the insulation on. My radial lengths vary between 40
ft and 100 ft. Generally I use 30 to 40, but have used more.

Have fun!!

JIm, W1EQO