[Towertalk] Skyhawk or OB11-3

Frank W8H0 fnorton@chartermi.net
Tue, 21 May 2002 22:48:41 -0400

Hi Mel, Paul, as well as other TowerTalk Readers.

I was one of the first Optibeam owners in the USA.  I made the decision
primarily based on my friend Jay Terleski, WX0B, he owns Array Solutions as
you probably know if you were at Dayton.  Jay was the only thin guy at the
Array tables.so I hear (No offense Bill & other OM's, hi hi).

The other major influence on my decision was Thomas Schmenger DF2BO,  the
key developer and manufacturer of  the Optibeam.  Thomas explained the
philosophy and machining involved in the manufacture of the
Optibeam.  These factors include the use of top quality German engineering
in both the mechanical and electrical areas.  Once we discussed the specs,
and he emailed me close up .jpg's of the structure of the various joints on
the optibeam and I compared them with other antennas on the market--I felt
the antenna made by Optibeam was clearly superior and ordered one of the
Optibeam OB 16-3.  It arrived by truck (actually the truck belongs to N5YA,
my friend from the great state of Texas) in mid-March.  It underwent a
delay due to my request that Bill, N5YA bring them when he drove up to
Michigan to do some work on my station otherwise it would have been have
been here in mid-January.

The Optibeam OB-16-3 I purchased has a 33 foot boom and operates on
20-15-10 meters.  The gain figures and dimensions for the beams are posted
on Array Solutions Web Site
--<http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/optibeamline.htm#top%20of%20page>,
 From the prior page you can go to whatever page you wish.

In closing let me say that the antenna is everything it was advertised to
be.  I hope others in the USA & Canada will see the advantages to this
antenna line and pay the slight price premium for import costs and consider
the Optibeam line whenever you are looking for a Trap free multi-band
antenna.  The cost of the quality is well worth the extra cost in dollars
(U.S. or Canadian).  Quality is really worth the price!

Good luck to all in ur tower & antenna projects!

73 de Frank W8HO

 From Mel VE2DC:
Ah! An Optibeam user. I've been looking at Tom's antennas... Thinking of the
OB16-3 and an OB7-2 10 ft above it on my 150' guyed tower.... with a 2 el 40
at 80'. Alternative plan would be the OB16-3 10 ft above the 2 el 40 and put
the WARC Band antenna at 80' or 120', if I have enough guy clearance (it's
touch and go!)
Care to comment on the antenna... I've yet to run into anyone using one.
Thanks, Mel... VE2DC

At 01:35 PM 5/20/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm replacing my home-station tribander.  I've narrowed the
>choices to the Bencher Skyhawk or the Optibeam OB11-3.
>
>Both manufacturers were at Dayton and I've seen what they
>offer.
>
>The Skyhawk is 20% longer and 25% heavier.  The mechanicals
>on both look good.  The prices are comparable, at least in
>my mind.
>
>Does anyone have information or experience with one or the
>other which might help me to make my decision?  I suspect
>I won't go wrong with either but I still need to decide.
>
>The current plan is for a stack at 35, 65, and 95 feet.  The
>top antenna will be above the 40 and will be a real pain to
>put up or take down, so longevity matters.
>
>                            Paul, K1XM

ALL INCOMING AND OUTGOING MAIL PROCESSED BY NORTON ANTIVIRUS 2002