[Towertalk] Water in Universal Base Stubs

S. J. Blackwell w5lu@hotmail.com
Tue, 28 May 2002 23:13:14 +0000

Lou,
I,too, have a Universal tower. From previous experience with this tower, I
had the steel legs that are in the concrete sent from Universal with no
finish. (They are usually sent with a painted surface.) I then had them hot
dipped galvanized. Despite my best intentions, I wound up with much more
hole than I had planned. (Watch those back hoes) To make a long story short,
my foundation legs do not drain. My solution(?) was to pump the water out
and pour in anti- freeze. I then capped the studs with rubber corks cut to
fit. Not a good thing, but with the galvanization maybe it will last. At
least it won't freeze and destroy itself. Get a little rotary pump that
chucks on a drill. They are available at Grainger and various DIY stores.
Good luck,
Sam, W5LU