[Towertalk] Those with a universal tower

N0OEL@aol.com N0OEL@aol.com
Tue, 28 May 2002 22:30:30 EDT

Hi John.    I have been using Universal towers for 25 years.   I Universal
Towers to
replace beams.    I climb them for service such as getting to a rotor or
such.
I generally tie a cable to my house (second story) and run the cable to the
tower
and run it through a pully mounted one third of the way from the top of the
tower.
I then run the cable down the tower to a winch.     It works great permitting
me to
lower my tower by myself.     I mount the winch on the tower for this purpose
and
when finished and I have cranked the tower back to the vertical and attached
the
leg I remove the winch.    Works great.     If you have a lot antenna on the
tower
be careful.    You dont want to lower the tower from the top as it may bend
your
tower.

Believe me one of the great advantages of the Universal is the ability to tip
it and
you paid the price for a good tower so use the feature.     I am a big
supporter of
Universal and aluminum towers.

73
Mike