[Towertalk] Feedback on W9INN Antennas Wanted

hasan schiers schiers@netins.net
Thu, 30 May 2002 09:27:06 -0500

Assuming you have at least a 50' tower and some beams on top, the 160/80/40
sloper works quite nicely. Be sure to put in a radial system under the
tower, as if the tower were a stand alone vertical. This assumes you are
feeding the sloper at the top of the tower.

Contrary to another posting, if you do things right, you will find it to be
a fine performer on 160 meters, because.....the W9INN antenna isn't doing
hardly ANY radiating on 160. If you model the antenna on 160, you will see
that the W9INN sloper is actually acting like a slant feed for the tower!
Nearly ALL the current is in the vertical tower, and nearly none of it is in
the sloper itself. So, on 160 what you have is a top loaded vertical (tower)
and the radial system underneath it is quite critical. What I did was buy a
bunch of electric fence wire, and put it out after the first hard freeze.
Used it all winter, then rolled it up when the grass started to green up.

On 80 and 40, it works like a more conventional sloper, with most of the
current in the sloper.

I had two of them up back to back on a tower. I liked them a lot.

You will have RF on the cables running to and from the tower...that's the
only thing I didn't much care for. As far as performance goes, I was
pleasantly surprised. 73

...hasan