[Towertalk] Support HR4720

Kim Bottles kbottles@rafn.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 07:51:03 -0700

Great letter!

I sent one to my rep (Jay Inslee, D-WA) in Congress several weeks ago,
the only thing I added was an invitation for him to visit my home and
see for himself what Ham Radio was all about. You never know, they might
show up. Invite them over, after all they are YOUR representative in our
Government. They work for you. Even if it doesn't always seem so.....

Kim Bottles - K7IM
Bainbridge Island, WA

-----Original Message-----
From: K7LXC@aol.com [mailto:K7LXC@aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2002 7:20 AM
To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [Towertalk] Support HR4720

Howdy, TowerTalkians --

    There is a House Resolution that affects all of us who want to put
up a
tower and I strongly recommend you send your Congressperson a letter
urging
their support. Here's one from K2ASP that I took off of the ham-law
reflector.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH

On Fri, 24 May 2002 14:32:14 -0700 (PDT), Phil Kane wrote:

>  At that time I intend to hand him [my Congressrep] a letter of
> support for HR4720.

  This is the letter:
                              ==============

May 30, 2002

Representative David Wu
United States House of Representatives
620 SW Main Street - Suite 606
Portland, OR 97205

Attn:     Ms. Ramona Perrault

Re:  H,R. 4720

Dear Representative Wu:

I urge you to co-sponsor H.R.  4720, the "Amateur Radio Emergency
Communications Consistency Act," sponsored by Rep. Steve Israel.  The
bill would alleviate a problem facing many federally licensed Amateur
Radio operators living within development communities who are subject to
unreasonable restrictions or outright prohibitions regarding the
installation of external antennas.

Under current law, the Federal Communications Commission applies a
policy that instructs states and localities that they must reasonably
accommodate Amateur Radio antenna. The policy, however, fails to address
situations affecting private land-use groups. Rep. Israel's bill would
ensure consistent application of these regulations.

This legislation seeks to ensure that Amateur Radio operators are
available for emergency communications in all sections of the country,
regardless of whether they live in a development, such as a retirement
community, or townhouse subdivision.  Restrictions against antennas
render Amateur Radio operators unable to utilize their licenses, which
in turn may ultimately hinder their emergency communication role during
times of disaster or national crisis.

As you will remember from previous correspondence, I have spent my
professional career as a communications regulatory engineer and attorney
with the F.C.C. and in private practice, and in the latter have had
hands-on experience representing individuals in their difficult attempts
to secure permission to erect reasonable radio antennas at their
residences in the face of solid and often arbitrary opposition on the
part of private land-use groups.  This legislation will alleviate this
inequity to a great extent.

Amateur radio provides a vital public safety communications service to
the public at no cost to taxpayers.  I fulfil this obligation an active
volunteer member of the Washington County Amateur Radio Emergency
Services - Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Services Team, providing vital
backup of local emergency communications.

I hope that you will join Rep. Israel in co-sponsoring his bill and I
look forward to hearing from you as you consider this important
legislation.

With warmest regards,

Philip M. Kane

6595 SW Elm Avenue