[Towertalk] Crankup coax handling

Bill Ogden ogden@us.ibm.com
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 09:50:24 -0500

I am still planning my crankup (TX-455) installation and, as usual, have
more questions.
I want to use a half-sloper with the tower.  (I asked about the quality of
electrical contact
between the tower sections earlier and will not ask about that here.)  I
plan to attach the
half-sloper at the top of the second (of three) sections.  I want to keep
it away from the
quad on top of the tower, and may need the top section of the tower as
additional
counterpoise since  the quad does not add much to the top.

Question: Most of the tower-loading literature (whether shunt feeding or
half-sloper)
stresses the need to run the coax INSIDE the tower.  This is contrary to
most users
advice to use the coax arms that are outside the TX-455 tower.  My question
is: coax
inside or outside the tower?  If inside, is it reasonable to manage while
raising or
lowering the tower?  Does any one on this reflector use their tower with
shunt or half-sloper
feeding and have their coax outside the tower?

Thanks for the help,

Bill Ogden
W2WO