[Towertalk] Crankup coax handling

David L. Thompson thompson@mindspring.com
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 12:52:55 -0500

I run my coax out side the crank up and the rotor cable inside.

I have an old Tristao 71 footer which is about the same as the TX series US
Tower.
I have three antennas with coax to a remote switch that switches antennas by
sending a voltage up the coax.  I have flex 9913 from the box with one
standoff at the top and taped at the 20 foot level which is my roof top.  I
don't know how you would place stand offs down the tower as they would catch
as its retracted.  Lou Tristao recommended my method and its worked for 33
years.  Now I only have one coax coming down the tower so its easy.

I do have to make sure the rotor cable does not get caught when cranking
down.  I do this by pulling the cable out the bottom as I come down.  There
is plenty of room inside the tower for multiple cables but as catching a
cable can be a problem I only have one (the rotor cable) inside.

73 Dave K4JRB