[Towertalk] Lightning Protection after the strike.... VK2LEE

Lee Noonan vk2lee@maxnet.net.au
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 10:42:03 +1100

When My Antennas were hit by Lightning last year.... [only Ground was in the
shack!!] the wire to the gamma matches on the HF  antennas were melted, not
the connection which was soldered.... the RG213 coax that plugged into the
2m Yagi was melted..[really blown up]..not the PL259.... so it looks like
the soldering Isn't the problem... it seems to be the  PL259 with all that
metal at GROUND potential....[roughly speaking!!]   .. On one joined section
of coax [near the shack] using 2 x PL259s + Joiner , they were melted
together between the Female outer thread of the PL259 & the male thread of
the joiner or connector... Again NO solder was melted... the white
insulation in the PL259 & the connector was Black.....  I believe that the
Lightning ignored the solder and just melted or blew up, as that was faster
!!!   Naturally, all this Depended on the Voltage & Current from the
strike....    and is My Own Humble -know nothing- opinion.....
Now, all My Coaxes are grounded at top & bottom of the tower, with Radio
Shack arrestors [gas inserts] located just before entering the shack ,
directly above a Ground Rod....

But I still disconnect everything when there is an electrical storm
about.....
and I have 7 or 8 surge arrestors in the house including one with a $10,000
insurance against connected equipment - INCLUDING- Lightning
strikes.....includes phone line ...

73

Lee     VK2LEE