[Towertalk] LPDAs...

Jim Shaw Jim@ShawResources.com
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 08:51:38 -0800

QUESTION:  Instead of an LPDA, why not use a 3 element SteppIR antenna?
Don't they cover all frequencies continuously from 13.9 to 30 MHz?  Isn't
that similar to the design goal of an LPDA?  Seems like a SteppIR should
easily cover MARS frequencies in that range.  Just asking cause I have no
first hand experience with either and LPDA or a SteppIR.

73 de Jim WA6PX
JGShaw@Alumni.HAAS.org

-----Original Message-----
From: towertalk-admin@contesting.com
[mailto:towertalk-admin@contesting.com]On Behalf Of Jon Ogden
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 6:41 AM
To: Dino Darling; towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Towertalk] LPDAs...

on 11/14/02 12:17 AM, Dino Darling at k6rix@arrl.net wrote:

> I learned more about LPDA's from this article than anything I've read to
> date!  I will have to re-read the article myself, but I remember talk
about
> front-to-back figures that were BETTER than a small yagi.

I could believe they have better F/B than a small Yagi.  I also believe that
a good sized LPDA would outperform a small beam.  However, I am not
completely sold on the idea of absolutely better performance.

I'll have to look into it since I am currently perusing what sort of antenna
to get to replace my TA-33.

73,

Jon
NA9D