[Towertalk] Loop Gain (was LPA designs)

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 18:15:07 -0600

N4KG responses inserted below.

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 Zyg Skrobanski <af4mp@mindspring.com> writes:
> The dominant antenna's in shortwave commercial radio appear to be, in
> no particular order,
>
> High gain curtain arrays  (VERY narrow patterns)
> Log periodic antennas     (Wide frequency coverage, Lower Gain)
> Rhombics		    (Mostly for point to point communications)
>
> The quad antenna was developed by HCJB, the religious shortwave
> broadcaster.
>
> I don't think I've seen Yagi's used by any SW broadcasters.

	Remember, the Matching System must be capable of
	accepting LOTS of power (often >> 10 KW)    N4KG

> -Zyg- AF4MP
>
> At 09:53 AM 11/16/02 -0600, Jon Ogden wrote:
>
> >I just have to believe that if loops were soooo much better, that
> they would be the dominant antenna in ham and commercial radio.
> They just  aren't.  They are harder to build and maintain.

	FIXED  Direction Loop Antennas are fairly simple to
	implement and not too difficult to maintain, especially
	on the Low Bands where Yagi's become unwieldy
	mechanical monsters, especially on 80M and to some
	extent on 40M.    N4KG

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com