[Towertalk] Quad vs Yagi

Steve Katz stevek@jmr.com
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 08:01:59 -0800

The actual article to which ZL1DD refers is in the May 1979 issue of Ham
Radio magazine, and entitled, "Quads vs. Yagis Revisited," by Dr. Wayne
Overbeck, N6NB.  A photo from that article, and a little writeup about it
can be found at:

http://commfaculty.fullerton.edu/woverbeck/antgain.htm

(scroll down, the reference is near the bottom of this section)

I knew Wayne well (still do) at the time he did this research and wrote the
article, and he traveled all over southern California with an LM470
motorized tower trailer (70' tower) and TH2 Hy-Gain 2L trapped yagi, not
known for its stellar performance.  He would park in the driveways of, or in
front of the homes of, noted DXers using cubical quad antennas, typically
also up about 70 feet, and do one-on-one, on-air comparisons in real time.
In virtually every case, the station/quad owner was shocked to find his quad
worked no better (and normally no worse) than the little 2L yagi, on short
paths, long paths, and all paths.  It was a very good article, since it was
well documented with lots of photographs and the callsigns of the DXers who
participated in the research.  -WB2WIK/6

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." -
Mario Andretti