[Towertalk] Curtain Antennas (was: Loop Gain (was LPA designs)

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 11:19:33 -0600

Bob Tail Curtains are vertically polarized arrays, open on the bottom,
and used primarily on the Lower Frequencies.  For the Higher Frequencies
I would guess they went to a Sterba Curtain or other Horizontally
Polarized
wire array which has pairs of horizontal wires vertically stacked and
looks
like multiple Lazy H's side by side.

FWIW,  W1EVT has 3 sets of bi-directional  two half wave's
in phase stacked every half wavelength for 10, 15, 20, and 40M
on 19 - 140 ft R25 towers.

This results in 2 stacked elements on 40M (standard Lazy H),
4 stacked elements on 20M, 6 stacked elements on 15M
and 8 stacked elements on 10M where each element is
composed of two half wave sections side by side all fed
with open wire line at the center of each element.

Tom   N4KG

n Sun, 17 Nov 2002  "Bill Wall" <billwall@eyecon-solutions.com> writes:
> Hi All:
> How many of you took the VOA tour at Mason Ohio. For many years they
> had a
> large fixed Quad array aimed at Europe. This was what the Tour
> person told
> us. They removed the Quad after many years and replaced it with a (
> think )a large bobtail curtain. After taking the tour about 4 times
> I never
> saw a Yagi of any type.
> Bill ( yes I manufacture Quads ) Wall KC4UZ

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com