[Towertalk] quad v. yagi (my own emperical experience)

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 18:38:27 -0600

N4KG comments inserted below.

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002  "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com> writes:
> I was single band 15 some years back, had a nice run going to Europe
> Saturday morning using 8/8 Telrex yagis (45' booms, 128/64'). The
> noise
	 What KIND of Noise?  What was the source?

> started building 'til I couldn't copy the weak ones, which was about
> all  that was calling me at that point.
>
> I also had a four-element Skylane quad at 70'.  Switched to it, the
> noise went away and I was able to work all those weak ones.

	I accept your observation.  It is ALSO entirely possible
	that if you had a YAGI on that 70 ft tower that the noise
	may have disappeared as well.  In other words, the
	LOCATION and Height of the second antenna may have
	been the REAL reason the noise disappeared.

> My conclusion was that full wavelength closed loop antennas have a
> low noise  advantage, regardless of the debate over gain vs. yagis or
> performance at  low heights, etc.  A serious contester should consider
> having a quad  for low noise receive, even if he continues transmitting

> on the big stack.

	You can 'NEVER' have too many antennas.  I've heard
	similar stories from people who simply have MANY Yagi's.

> Drawbacks:  mechanical -- cumbersome to build and put up and
> maintain, especially on a guyed tower.  The next one(s) I put up
> will be on a  self supporting tower.  I have enough parts for 5/5
> and have a 70' tower  set  aside for this possible purpose.  Also
> helpful, 20' stepladder or  scaffolding to build them.

	I'm NOT saying that Quads are bad antennas, only
	that the comparisons cited are NOT conclusive.  It
	is inconceivable to me how a Quad could reject radiated
	ATMOSPHERIC  NOISE while a YAGI would NOT.

	I thoroughly enjoyed using my Mosley 2L Quads
	until some 'uninvited, illegal, Frozen Substance
	from the North' bought them to their demise :-(

	The wide SWR Bandwidth, broad pattern, and
	modest F/B made them GREAT Multiplier hunting
	antennas !     Tom  N4KG
> 73
>
> Rich Boyd
>

> KE3Q/W3AO