[Towertalk] I need help

Jon Ogden na9d@speakeasy.net
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 23:06:01 -0600

Carlos,

You certainly do not want to give up ham radio!  It is too bad they do not
want you to run the cables up the side.  If done correctly, no one would
ever know.  And anyhow, I've never been to Belo Horizonte, but I've been to
Sao Paolo and Buenos Aires and I saw plenty of buildings with cables up and
down the sides of them (particularly in Buenos Aires! - what an interesting
power grid!).  But neighbors will be neighbors.

Here are some other possible options.

1.) Can you move to the top floor of the building where the cable run would
be very short on the outside of the building and you wouldn't be running it
by anyone?

2.) Is there some sort of shelter that exists or could be made on the top of
the building and you could put your ham shack there?

3.) Is there any way to run your cables between the walls?  That way no one
would see.  It's a very big job to do, but if it's possible, I think
everyone is happy.

4.) Have a wire antenna inside your home or a vertical outside the window -
at least it gets you on the air.  Join a club with a station that you can
operate more seriously from.

There are many options, my friend.  I once made an antenna that was design
to fit around the sides of a balcony I had.  I made contacts with it, a
Heathkit transmitter and a Hallicrafters SX-100 receiver.  And that was in
1989!  There's always a way!

Don't give up. Even 500 feet of cable run is better than none.  Someone else
may be able to better answer your cable length questions than me.

73 es gl,

Jon
NA9D

on 11/21/02 7:36 PM, Carlos Augusto S. Pereira at py4ro@superig.com.br
wrote:

> I live in seven floor building in Belo Horizonte -  Brazil and recently
> raised a 2 element Yagi on its top. However, the
> neighbors did not allow me to pass the cables (rotor and coaxial cable) at
> the outside of the building. I used the elevator but the company which makes
> the  service complained that it is illegal and asked me to remove them (I am
> doing that tomorrow morning). Thus so I have two options to follow:
>
> 1. To give up ham radio.
>
> 2. To pass the cable all the way down the stairs (making curves and  paiting
> the cable).
>
> I confess that after almost one year arguing with the neighbords the option
> number l is getting more and more close. I am tired of  explain things and
> be misunderstood. But when I think about this option I  get sad because I
> have been a ham since I was 18 (I am 34 now) and I like our hobby very very
> much. Most of my friends are hams!  I do not want to give up!

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Life Member: ARRL, NRA
Member:  AMSAT, DXCC