[Towertalk] I need help

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:03:15 -0500

At 10:05 AM 11/22/02 -0400, Carl Smidt wrote:
>There are more ways than one to skin a cat. As a teenager I also had
>problems with neighbours, so I hooked my Viking II up to the slat springs
>(commonly used in those days) under my mattress and f'ired away'. Made all
>kinds of contacts, but today you would also need a good antenna tuner for
>the job  :>).  Good luck Carlos and hang in there!

Another alternative is a small mobile antenna.  In the early 1970s I had a
Hustler mobile whip bracketed to the metal balcony rail of a garden
apartment, tilted out away from the building at roughly 45 degrees.  The
antenna was 10 feet from a chain-link fence and about even with the average
local ground level.  Worked fine -- DXCC plus in 2 years on 20m with a
HW-32A.  All the same, I hope Carlos can figure out another way to get his
cables down.

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower