[Towertalk] which base is recommended?

Jon Ogden na9d@speakeasy.net
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 06:27:46 -0600

on 11/24/02 10:27 PM, S. Markowski Jr. at km9m-zig@attbi.com wrote:

> Looking for opinions.  Going to install Rohn 45, guyed tower.  Starting
> height 40 feet(all the village will currently allow). Should I use the
> concrete pad baseplate, or the short tower section?  I'm leaning towrds
> the tower plate with 3 - anchor bolts in case I want/need to change
> towers. Pad with 3 ' x 3' x 3'(if short base), or 42 - 48" deep if
> concrete pad baseplate.

Zig,

You could do what I did and use the pier pin base as well.

They'll all work and work fine.  Sinking a section in concrete makes the
installation work a little easier.  With my tower, we assembled it on the
ground to the first guy point (so 3 sections worth) and then had about 6 or
8 guys schlep it into place.  But it makes the work when pouring the
concrete so much easier as you don't need to have the short section there at
that time, etc.

Also, you shouldn't need a whole lot of rebar in your concrete pier when
usinging either of the flat base plates.  Most of the load with those two
plates is compression forces.  Concrete is incredibly strong under
compression loads.

Do you have the R-45 yet?  If not, let me know.  There's a guy up here by me
who takes down a lot of towers, etc.  He may have some R-45 or know where to
get it.

73,

Jon
NA9D