[Towertalk] Climbing Masts

Bob Smith na6t@na6t.com
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 23:38:53 -0800

Well Fellas.

The 'pucker factor' comes with the territory.  If you want Big towers, you
had better have a little 'pucker' , a friend that has a little 'pucker' or
the bucks to buy the 'pucker'

Myself, I've got a 28' mast - 23' above and 5' inside of my LM-470 with two
thrust bearings and an orion rotor plate.  It is very easy to climb.  I
made of a set of steps out of aluminum channel.  2x3 channel for the
vertical portion and 2x2 channel for the steps.  The vertical portion is
20' long with the steps 18" long.  The whole assembly is very light and can
be hoisted to the top of the tower on a pulley when needed.  It has been
'trimmed' a little to fit around the beams and it clamps to the mast with
large muffler-u-bolt style clamps and , yes you do have to be a little
careful, but hell that's what K7LXC preaches all the time, safety.  Be sure
to wear you safety belt and use a safety line and climb away,

But, before you start, put your 'pucker' in you pocket,, for good luck, but
hell, that's part of amateur radio, the fun of communications,,,,

Bob Smith
A.R.S NA6T
ARRL Life Member
Fort Bragg, California   95437

"On The Air-Conditioned Mendocino Coast, In REAL Northern California"
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.