[Towertalk] Ball bearings in pulleys

Bob Smith na6t@na6t.com
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 00:52:39 -0800

Probably the best lead about pulleys is to talk to a person that uses
pulleys in everyday life.  I had A pulley system designed and built by a
local aluminum and stainless steel fabricator that builds 60-100' steel and
aluminum boats for the fishing industry here in Fort Bragg, Calif.  He had
a stock of pulleys of all sizes, all galvanized, all with bronze bearings
and all sealed against the weather.  The highest pulley I have is at the
top of  the mast.   I've got 20' of gal. tubing for the main mast, a sleeve
and 20' of thick wall aluminum tubing  with the pulley in a captured mount
at the top.  This is where I mount the dipoles for 160 and 80
meters.   They are pulled up with 3/8" rope.  The guarantee I got with the
'custom' job was that he would climb the mast and replace the pulley if it
ever fails,, I'll go with that,,,

Bob Smith
A.R.S NA6T
ARRL Life Member
Fort Bragg, California   95437

"On The Air-Conditioned Mendocino Coast, In REAL Northern California"
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.