[Towertalk] Ham IV Brake Slips?

Steve/n0tu n0tu@codenet.net
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 16:20:28 -0700

I think Ham IV brake is munched?

Recently notice the wind was drifting my kt34 out of sync w/rotor control
box. So I reset/twisted the beam on the mast and really cinched the mast to
boom clamps this time. All seemed good and secure!

After another front blew through I noticed it happened again! Today while
attempting to realign it, I grabbed the boom after all the tightening was
done and I could turn the rotator. I also heard the gears turning inside the
rotator??? Not good?  Isn't the brake supposed to prevent this?? BTW the
rotator brake power IS off which means the brake should be on and
engaged(right?)!! I know it wasn't doing this before! That is the brake
seemed to be hold everything solid - no drifting or armstronging the rotator
by hand.

Looks like rotator brake repair time! Any of the repair shops do pre-ship
repair exchanges? Or is brake replacement a simple task? Of course this is
the windy season in CO!

Steve/n0tu