[Towertalk] Ham IV Brake Slips?

Steve/n0tu n0tu@codenet.net
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 12:01:50 -0700

TKS TTers, Lots of great info!

Agreedly the rotator needs to come down! BTW I think the rotator is "in sync
w/control box" again but it can be windmilled by the wind or hand and is
tracking. But has no brakes! Sounds like a broke brake wedge or not engaging
from what you all are telling me. We' ll soon see!

About getting it down: I'm using the flat top R25 section w/thrust bearing.
Mast is ~4' section of 2" or 2-1/4(brain fade?). The KT34 only sits ~ 8"
above the tower/bearing with the rest of the mast sticking up above ~18" and
~12" into the rotator clamp. I'm thinking I can weld up a clamp with braces
that anchor to the tower legs and clamp on to the lower mast. So as to lock
ithe mast in position while the rotator is absent for repairs. Thoughts?
Sure seems like a waste of effort to take down the KT34. It went up the
vertically via the wigwag method through the guys single handedly. I'd
prefer not repeat that process until it's really necessary.
TIA
Steve/n0tu - Monument, C0