[Towertalk] Ham IV Brake Slips?

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 16:13:59 EST

In a message dated 11/30/02 12:33:01 PM Pacific Standard Time,
n0tu@codenet.net writes:

> But has no brakes! Sounds like a broke brake wedge or not engaging
>  from what you all are telling me. We' ll soon see!

    Yep. I'll bet you a nickel it's the brake.

>  About getting it down: I'm using the flat top R25 section w/thrust bearing.
>  Mast is ~4' section of 2" or 2-1/4(brain fade?). The KT34 only sits ~ 8"
>  above the tower/bearing with the rest of the mast sticking up above ~18"
and
>  ~12" into the rotator clamp. I'm thinking I can weld up a clamp with braces
>  that anchor to the tower legs and clamp on to the lower mast. So as to lock
>  ithe mast in position while the rotator is absent for repairs. Thoughts?
>  Sure seems like a waste of effort to take down the KT34. It went up the
>  vertically via the wigwag method through the guys single handedly. I'd
>  prefer not repeat that process until it's really necessary.

    There's no reason to drop the antenna. The way to do it is to have the
replacement rotator ready to go and do it all at once - then you don't have
to worry about anything happening to the antenna and feedline. Norm's Rotor
Service will ship rotators so that you can do that - you just send them your
busted one when it's down.

    If there's going to be a time span between rotator mountings, then I'd
just fabricate a little bracket from angle iron with a U-bolt for the mast in
the middle. The ends should stick out of the tower; then you can tie it on
with rope to prevent mast/antenna movement. You don't have to weld up
anything unless you really want to.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH