[Towertalk] 5 elem 10 vs TH-3

Wendell Wyly W5FL wendell@wyly.org
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 00:44:58 -0500

Interesting.  How did you measure the forward gain and F/B ratio.  The
reason I ask, is an isotrophic source does not exist to compare with and f/b
requires a good calibrated attentuator with 0.1 db steps as most s-meters
are very difficult to use to take measurements due to their non-linearity
(including the 1000MP).

-----Original Message-----
From: towertalk-admin@contesting.com
[mailto:towertalk-admin@contesting.com]On Behalf Of Peter Larsen
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2002 11:14 PM
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [Towertalk] 5 elem 10 vs TH-3

Hi All:
Thanks to Steve, VE6WZ,  I was able to do some
ground wave testing of the 5 element 10 meter yagi at 35 feet,
and the TH-3 at 72 feet.
Steve is about 3 miles away from me across a large valley. (I will be
measuring the distance when I get to work on my computer with
the GPS hook up)

Here are the results:

             510           TH-3
Gain:     11.7 dBi    9.04 dBi
-3 dB     48 deg.     60.6 deg.
F/B         20 dB      16 dB

Pretty much what you would expect from these antennas.
Kind a nice also to see that the computer modeling I did worked
out to be quite close to the real world with the 510. Better F/B than
predicted, but real close on the forward gain.

Just some more unscientific results.

Peter
VE6YC