[Towertalk] Lubing crank-up cables

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 14:42:35 EDT

In a message dated 10/3/02 10:02:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time, list@qth.com
writes:

> From: jerry schnor <wi7f@yahoo.com>
>  Subject: Re: [Force 12 Talk] Force12 Low Profile towers
>  To: Charles Elquist <w6jif@newnorth.net>, Force12Talk@qth.com
>
>  If anyone on the net is reading this , I need advise
>  on what grease to use on the cables.  The weather here
>  on the Washington coasrt is bad so i think i need to
>  preserve the cables by oiling them.

    Other than the fact that you can't entirely lube the cables,  <A
HREF="http://www.championradio.com">www.championradio.com</A> handles the
PreLube line of cable lubricants. They are products recommended by wire rope
cable manufacturers. The PreLube 6 is $9.50 and is great for most
applications.

    I've just picked up a new cable lubricant called PreLube 19 and it is for
hostile-type environments. It forms an outer coat that won't attract
contaminants but protects against stuff in the air; i.e. particulates,
saltwater, acid rain, etc. It's recommended for ski lifts and marine
environments and other nasty applications. It's not listed on the website yet
but it's $12.00 per spray can. You can email me directly or call if you want
to order some.

    DO NOT oil the cables. What you want is a penetrating oil that doesn't
leave a sticky film on the outside of the cable.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
Cell: 206-890-4188