[Towertalk] lightning-slightly off topic

Jon Ogden na9d@speakeasy.net
Sun, 06 Oct 2002 07:13:35 -0500

on 10/6/02 6:21 AM, FireBrick at w9ol@billnjudy.com wrote:

> But you may find this interesting. You'll notice the water tower in the
> background isn't hit.
>
> http://lightning.pwr.eng.osaka-u.ac.jp/lrg/temp/plane.html

Amazing!  I wonder how many times a year planes get hit and I wonder what it
does to the avionics.  I know on a sailboat it can do all sorts of bad
things to the instruments.  I wonder on a plane, how the lightning gets
dissipated.  Maybe it acts strictly like a conductor since there was also a
discharge to ground.

As for the water tower, I guess it must have been very well grounded.  I
guess it proves that good protection will help to prevent a strike from even
hitting you!

73,

Jon
NA9D