[Towertalk] GAO Challenger DX

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 07:23:17 -0600

Ground Reflections from Horizontally Polarized antennas are
very efficient, suffering only 1 to 2 dB loss regardless of how
poor the conductivity of the ground.

Ground Reflections from Vertically Polarized antennas are
HIGHLY dependent on the ground conductivity and are typically
much higher than for horizontally polarized antennas unless the
reflections are over Salt Water.

On the Low Bands, verticals are often better than (low) dipoles
for DX where a 1/2 WL high 80M dipole needs to be 140 ft up!

Tom  N4KG