[Towertalk] attaching coax to the tower legs

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 00:44:54 EDT

In a message dated 10/7/02 6:26:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time, KB2HUK@aol.com
writes:

> In what fashion should coax coming down the tower be attached to the legs
of
>  the tower , I am using LMR 400 Coaxial cable ?

    Actually I'd tape it myself, using a wide multi-wrap for the top of the
run to spread the holding force over a larger area.

    The problem with the foam dielectric is cold flow - that is, the foam
being a plastic material of sorts will migrate due to pressure over time.
That's why CushCraft says not to use it for their wound RF chokes.

    Tape's fine - just don't ask it to do anything too "structural"; i.e.
hold much weight.

    If you're really worried about it (next time buy RG-213 or something
else), use a Kellum/hoisting grip like the pros do.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH