[Towertalk] Choices

n4gi n4gi@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 08:16:26 -0400

N4KG writes:

<<40M dipoles work well for DX at 60 ft and above.
50 ft is 'OK' but not great.

80M dipoles *begin* to 'play' around 90 ft or so.
I'm pretty happy with my 130 ft high dipoles.

Anything less is a cloud warmer, which may work
some DX, but is much better for local contacts.

You would be MUCH better off with a GOOD vertical
(and radial field) for Low Band DX given your height
restrictions.>>
I don't think that this is necessarily the case.
My rotary dipole at a measly 40' is ALWAYS 3+ S units better than my
vertical for DX RX.
Not the same as a wire, I'm aware, however it's still one element...
The vertical has plenty of resonant radials.
73,
Blake N4GI