[Towertalk] Tower Buidling 201

Tom Anderson ww5l@gte.net
Wed, 09 Oct 2002 09:09:19 -0500

Fellow tower talkians:

I also used a similar procedure to Bill's.

When I installed my first Rohn 25 tower after digging the hole and putting in a
layer of pea gravel/river rock on the bottom for drainage I put up the 3 foot
base (although I have known some hams that have dug an 8-9 foot hole for the base
and used an entire section of Rohn 25 for the base) and first 20 feet of tower
and after using a level to make it as vertical as possible I tied off the 20 feet
of tower in several directions (same directions as the guys would be) and then
poured the concrete and periodically checked the two tower sections with a 3-foot
level to make sure they didn't tilt in the concrete as it hardened. Worked like a
champ.

To keep the concrete from hardening too fast (I put the tower up during a hot
Texas summer) I would sprinkle the surface of the base lightly with water over
several days and then let the whole thing cure  two weeks before starting to
install the rest of the Rohn 25.

It was interesting that during the construction several neighbors came over and
said they thought it was nice I was putting up a "bell tower" (The Rohn 25 and a
Ham IV rotor premounted in the top section) in the neighborhood and they hoped to
soon hear my "bells" chiming out over the neighborhood.  Once I put the beam on
top they knew it wasn't a "bell tower".  But I kept them satisfied since my XYL
Cheryl (WY5H) and I are storm spotters, besides DXers, and when anything was
brewing in North Texas or near us I'd walk around the neighborhood and knock on
doors to alert them.

As an OT aside, when we'd have a Tarrant County (Fort Worth TX) RACES spotters
callout on Sunday morning I'd always take my talkie to church and listen to our
minister with one ear and the RACES net in an earphone plugged in the other ear.
Yes, our minister knew what I was doing as I had discussed it with him before.
He and I had talked about where to move folks in the church building if anything
happened close by during the service.

Tom, WW5L