[Towertalk] Calculating guy distance for rotating towers

kk9a@arrl.net kk9a@arrl.net
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 08:13:35 -0500

I guess your guy wires run straight up and down.  If the guy was on a 45
degree angle adding 1' to the turning radius would only give 8 1/2" of
clearance.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Gilmer, N2MG" <n2mg@eham.net>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, October 11, 2002 7:18 AM
Subject: [Towertalk] Calculating guy distance for rotating towers

Oops, somehow the word "Boom" got into this thread... "Boom" is the
wrong term - changing the boom length is not the same as changing the
turning radius (in most cases!)

In my original post (bottom) I said it correctly: adding one foot to
the "turning radius" - not adding one foot to the "boom" - and
recalculating gives one foot of clearance.  We *were* talking about
"turning radius" all along anyway, but I just want to be clear.

-Mike