[Towertalk] An idea...oh boy

Jason Hissong jhisson1@columbus.rr.com
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 01:45:09 -0400

Hi gang,

I think I found a good compromise solution for my tower quest.  The city
wants me to go through alot to get the permits and being that I am a casual
DXer and contester, I really don't want to spend the $3000.00 to get this
thing installed (and the trouble of the city).  The city says that I can
install a retractable tower that when retracted must be below my house
height (19') and when extended, no higher than 35'.  Here is my idea:

Get a SB25G base section and a 25AG4 top section (with a thrust bearing and
rotor shelf).  Basically,  a 9 foot tower simply to install the rotor (I
have a Yaesu 450XL).  Get a Hexbeam and their HDX30 telescopic mast.
Install the HX5Bi on top of the mast (which the HX5Bi is only 19 pounds).
The rotor would turn the mast (and the beam) from within the 9 foot tower
section.  I could install the "tower" right behind my deck.  Everything
would be accessible for me (I am afraid of heights anyway) and when things
get really windy, I will lower the mast.  I of course would be grounding
everything like I should.

The Rohn specs state that a free standing 10 foot 25G section can handle
19.7 Sq Feet of wind load.  The Hexbeam would be 5 ft2 and the mast no more
than 5 ft2.  The HDX30 is designed for the HX5Bi.  I would still make the
foundation to Rohn specs (2' by 2' by 4' drilled pier type foundation).
Would I be able to mix this concrete myself (Rohn catalog states that a
round pier would be about .5 Cu Yards)?  Or would ordering it still be the
best?  Also, could I get buy with a smaller foundation (the base section is
only 3 feet high)?

Thanks for the input.

Jason Hissong
N8XE