[Towertalk] Re: weatherproofing connections

Mark . n1lo@hotmail.com
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:00:30 -0400

Mike wrote:

<< I've got a set of bulkhead SO-239 connections that are very hard to
weatherproof using the usual tape & vapor wrap method...snip.. heat shrink
tubing is an option.  I ran across several varieties that are lined with
glue to keep out moisture.  According to several posts in the archive, these
work well until you need to remove it. I was thinking that I could spray the
area to be covered with silicone (
lubricant, not the adhesive ) before shrinking the stuff.  I'm thinking the
silicone should be able to stand up to the heat, and stable enough to not
leak over time. Has anyone tried this?  Any thoughts?  Mike, WQ5C>>

Hi Mike, how about this:
Use one plain heat shrink layer, covered by one glue-lined heat shrink
tubing layer. Cut the plain tubing just long enough to cover the entire
connector joint, right up to the bulkhead. Cut the glue-lined layer slightly
longer. Usually a little glue will squeeze out at the ends after shrinking.
This will make a seal to the bulkhead surface, and the other end will seal
directly to the jacket of the feedline. With proper overlap, moisture cannot
enter through the ends of the plain heat shrink layer.
For removal, you should be able to carefully slit both layers lengthwise,
using gentle, repeating passes of a razor, and have the whole works peel
away neatly.

--...MARK_N1LO...--