[Towertalk] yagi spacings

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 09:07:29 -0600

I like to have ~1/3 of the mast INSIDE the tower
to minimize the bending moment applied to the
upper portion of the tower.

Some people cut diagonals to place a rotor inside R25.
Another good position is to put the rotor plate at the
very TOP of the next section down, and cut one of the
Horizontal Steps at the bottom of the Top section.  This
provides enough clearance to insert / remove the rotor
without weakening the tower since there is another
horizontal step only inches below at the top of the
lower section (along with the rotor plate).  Yes, it
does take some extra mast but it is SAFER than
placing the rotor near the top when you use a long mast.

You may want to consider using a crane or boom truck
to insert your mast.  The most scary thing I ever did on
a tower was insert a 24 ft mast in the top of a 130 ft
tower using a standard 12 ft Rohn GIN pole.  I do NOT
recommend that approach.  A sturdy (thick wall) 20 ft
tube (preferably aluminum) securely attached to the
outside of the tower with a pulley at the top is another
viable method for knowledgable tower riggers.  You need
to really understand all the forces involved and the
capabilities of your materials.  This is a DANGEROUS
process. The SAFEST approach is a crane or boom truck.

Tom  N4KG