[Towertalk] Coax recommendations

KC2TN kc2tn@comcast.net
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 00:19:15 -0400

Personally, I wouldn't direct bury anything if you have another option.

After 30 years in the telephone Outside Plant industry I've yet to see
anyone come up with a cable that's impervious to water.

When PIC (Polyethylene Insulated Cable) was first introduced for direct
burial in the late 1960's and since, I've since a dozen different types
of direct bury cable makeup's marketed. Single sheath, double sheath, three
different types of flooding compounds and so on. To this day these cables
do not last very long.

For whatever reason Mother Nature usually wins out.

So, if you can, keep it out of the ground!

I'm sure there are those in dry climates where water may not be a problem,
and have buried coax for some time, but where you have a high water table
or frequent rain, I'd consider all other options first.

Just my opinion!

Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: towertalk-admin@contesting.com
[mailto:towertalk-admin@contesting.com]On Behalf Of Eje Gustafsson
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 11:58 PM
To: towertalk-admin@contesting.com; John von Gonten
Cc: TowerTalk
Subject: Re: [Towertalk] Coax recommendations

Hello John,

LMR-400DB is direct burial hence DB (Direct Burial).
In the LMR category you have besides the "standard" cable the
following options.
FR - fire retardant for installation in vertical building raisers
LLPL - low loss plenum cable for use in any in building aps including
air handling plenums and spaces where maximum fire retarandcy and
minimum smoke generation are required.
DB - water tight cables with an inert flooding for direct burial
UF - ultraflex stranded center conductor cables with flexble outer
jacket

All of this is covered in Times Microwaves discovery document.

- Eje "Aya"

JvG> Texastowers sells coax tag LMR-400DB, and I quote the site for this "
JvG> LMR-400 with a special sealing compound between the shield and outer
JvG> jacket for direct burial." it is around 75 cents a foot listed on the
JvG> site. Per Times Microwave site it has a 1" turn radius, .405" diamater.
JvG> On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 18:55,

JvG> Jon Ogden wrote:
>> Perhaps not.  They do have a direct burial version.
>>
>> And the Cable Experts CXP1318FX IS indeed a direct burial cable.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Jon
>> NA9D
>>
>> on 10/16/02 4:03 PM, Larry at lclarks@nc.rr.com wrote:
>>
>> > I'm using LMR400UF and was informed by Steve Davis of Davis RF that it is
>> > not suitable for direct burial.
>> >
>> > They sell a cable called "BURY FLEX" that is very close to the LMR400UF and
>> > a good price.
>> >
>> > Larry WA2SRY
>> > Durham, NC

>> Jon Ogden
>> NA9D (ex: KE9NA)
>>
>> Life Member: ARRL, NRA
>> Member:  AMSAT, DXCC
>>
>> http://www.qsl.net/ke9na
>>
>> "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

---