[Towertalk] Soldering at the top of the tower

Cqtestk4xs@aol.com Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 08:56:00 EDT

A thought which runs parallel to K4OJ's suggestion about having the necessary
cordless drill.....How do the guys handle soldeiing up on top of the tower?
I mean a very high tower at which wind is present even in the early morning
and the tower is 300 to 400 feet away from the station and a power source

I have tried the propane torch both in the little soldering pencils (too
puny), big propane (flame gets blown out), extension cords (a pain in the
butt) and have heard about guys running permanent house wiring up the tower
and just plug in the end running to the house when needed.  That one makes me
a little nervous.  Plus you still have the problem of the wind cooling the
darn PL 259 off while soldering.

What are the tricks you guys use?  WC4E and I would like to know.

Bill K4XS

multipart/mixed
  message/rfc822
---