[Towertalk] Soldering at the top of the tower

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@contesting.com
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 12:27:46 -0400

The only issue with placing a "permanent" extension to the tower and
up is ground, and ground fault protection. Wiring AC at the tower
follows the same rules as putting power out at a swimming pool and is
no more risky.

Do not do this if the ground at the tower is a "UFER" or phantom
ground, or tower-in the-ground ground. It has to be a lightning grade
ground system with the ground rods, heavy wire from the tower, welded
connections, etc.

Run the extension first to the bottom of the tower and a weatherproof
enclosure, and use a ground fault outlet, like one you would purchase
for use out at a swimming pool. The safety ground in the enclosure
must be attached to the tower and tower ground with a wire at least as
large as the wire to the outlet. Having the wire in the open will
allow you to detect that it has been evaporated by a lightning strike.

Do not depend on the enclosure case, mounting arrangement, etc to
effect the ground. For this reason, mounting the bottom enclosure
right close to a tower ground attachment point is a good idea. Makes
the safety ground wire to the connection short, but visible, and not
hanging way out in the open.

Run the protected side of the ground fault outlet to a weatherproof
enclosured plain outlet up the tower at a point of your choosing.

When you have finished, disconnect ALL wires of any sort from the
tower, and see if there is an AC voltage between the ground prong of
the extension's plug (at the house end) and the house wiring safety
ground. If it's anything other than millivolts there is a problem with
the house AC ground that needs to be dealt with.

In one case that measurement led to discovering an entirely MISSING
house power ground (how it got past the inspectors was another issue).

Leave it normally unplugged at the house end, and when you go to use
it, visually check for the safety wire at the tower, and push the
"test" button on the GFI to make sure it's still alive and kicks out.
That's as safe as the AC in the house.

73, Guy.