[Towertalk] Soldering at the top of the tower

Mark . n1lo@hotmail.com
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 18:33:10 -0400

<<SNIP...Plus you still have the problem of the wind cooling the darn PL 259
off while soldering. What are the tricks you guys use? >>

  Extremely few times when there's no wind up the tower! I remember reading
a trick from way back in the archives. The idea is to create a folding
windscreen from a large cardboard box. I think the guy used a refrigerator
box, and put it around himself and the tower. I think he was up north, and
in winter to boot, so it gave him some welcome shelter from the elements.
Seems to me you could make one about a cubic foot size or so, with one open
side and a slot cut into it allowing you to slip it over the joint (if in
the middle of a wire) and work through the open side. Just don't torch your
box!
  I haven't tried this but perhaps one of those folding aluminum sterno
stoves would work, and wouldn't burn.

--...MARK_N1LO...--

Get a speedy connection with MSN Broadband.  Join now!