[Towertalk] lmr 400 question

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 12:12:39 -0400

At 10:26 AM 10/20/02 -0600, n4kg@juno.com wrote:
> >    I would mount the end connector, a female if possible, binding
> > it to a tower leg with a SS hose band and I would use cheap RG-8/U
> > as the `whip cable' 4-6 feet is frequently used.  (NOT foam)
>
>         Sounds like a good idea to me.   N4KG

I've noticed that the portable news-gathering vans seem to use an
alternative sort of rotation loop for their antenna masts.  It looks like
they wrap 6-7 turns of coax around the mast, with the top fixed at the
antenna and bottom end fixed to the truck body, such that when they rotate
360 degrees the coil just loosens or tightens a relatively small
amount.  That seems like a mechanically superior approach.  Anyone tried it
in ham installations?  Would it work better with the stiffer cables?

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower