[Towertalk] 20 Meter J Antenna and Noise

Bob Farkaly bob@farkaly.com
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:45:42 -0700

Please excuse a slightly off-topic post.

While waiting patiently for my upcoming battle with the City of Poway,
CA (Poway does not recognize PRB-1), I put up a sloping "J" antenna for
20 meters. It works better than I would have expected (worked the ZL7C
expedition with 2 calls). Anyway, I found my noise level at S9+10.
Sounded like constant AC line noise. First, checked outside (for about 5
minutes) without finding a possible source. Checking the in-house
circuits, I found the Sony KV-35V68 television in the family room to be
the culprit.

The noise is there with the television power switch off or on. The act
of unplugging the appliance reduces the 20 meter band noise level from
S9+10 (which I cannot live with) to S2 (which I can live with).

Searching the Web (with Google) gave me no help. So I'm turning to my
fellow TowerTalkians for help.

Any advice on how to tame a Sony TV would be welcome.

Bob Farkaly, K9RHY
Poway, CA 92064