[Towertalk] Pinning Mast to Rotator

k4oj k4oj@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 16:01:09 -0400

I suspect what would have "given" would have been the boom, Bruce - when
there is enough torque to spin the beam loose independant of the rotor
then it turns in one of two places - the boom to mast clamp or at the
rotor.  I don't think you mentioned your boom to mast location slipping
so since it is not pinned (I assume you would not put think of putting a
hole in the mast above the top plate) that  was successful at holding
the yagi in place - which the rotator's clamping did not.

IF the mast were pinned at the rotor and that force had no where to go
then I suspect the boom would have fallen victim to the winds... pinning
the beam kind of tempts fate.  You may wish to make the grip on the mast
better by some of the tricks I have seen  posted here on Towertlk such
as adding a piece of abrasive paper to the outside of the mast.

Don't know whose rotator you are using, but I have often wondered the
following:

The downside of Hygains approach is that the mast is held by that plate
which makes contact with the mast along two small lines of contact area
- seems like a saddle type arangement with surface contact over a wide
area would give a better capture of the mast... this is the argument
made for using saddles with u-bolts so seems it would be the same
physics here!

IMHO the ultimate remake of the Hygain would be a cast bluck which has a
plowed U-shaped groove down its length that is half of a 2" diameter
masts OD (purists will note the HyGain people in all their wisdom
designed the antenna for a 2 1/16" OD mast - guess the were counting on
a coating of  some sort 1/32 thick being applied to a 2" OD tube).
 Anyhow, this block with a plow running the length of it would afford
surface contact over a very large area of the mast - it could be
designed to have bolt holes that align with those on the rotor (5/16 for
Tailtwister) and both U-Bolts with a very long leg or long machine bolts
would take the place of the stock U-Bolts.  This would create a very
large surface contact area.

Then I wake up - and find out what it costs to produce something - even
this simple - for amateur radio usage!

Happy trails, hopefully the storms are gone for the year!

73,

Jim, K4OJ