[Towertalk] LMR400 vs. RG-213

Dan Hammill kb5my@starband.net
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 21:56:02 -0700

True RG-8 is also a MIL-SPEC cable (that's where the "RG-n"
numbers come from).  MIL-SPEC RG-8 has a solid polyethylene
dielectric, which is identical to the solid polyethylene
dielectric of MIL-SPEC RG-213.  Foam dielectric cables
labeled "RG-8" aren't MIL-SPEC cables (unless the military
has added some to the list since the last time I looked).

73,
Dan  KB5MY/6

-----Original Message-----
From: towertalk-admin@contesting.com
[mailto:towertalk-admin@contesting.com]On Behalf Of Jon Ogden
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 21:18
To: Bob Nielsen; towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Towertalk] LMR400 vs. RG-213

on 10/21/02 9:32 PM, Bob Nielsen at nielsen@oz.net wrote:

> RG-213 has a non-contaminating jacket, not a direct burial jacket.  As
> I recall it is practically identical to one of the RG-8 versions and I
> would expect that the loss figures are identical.  In this respect, I
> am referring to what was once a MIL-spec cable, but the term "RG-8" is
> now applied to quite a few other cables in the .405 diameter class (as
> is also the case with RG-6, RG-58 and RG-59, etc.)

There seems to be a lot of disagreement on this "direct burial" thing.  My
RG-213 says it clearly on the jacket:  "Direct Burial"

No, there's no goop in there, but according to what I have been told by the
folks at Cable Experts (where I got the cable), anything with a polyethelene
jacket is essentially capable of direct burial.  PVC jackets such as RG-8,
are not rated for such.  I will double check my information with them since
they are in my area and I regularly pick stuff up from them.

RG-213 is a mil-spec cable yes.  It has a different dielectric than RG-8.
RG-8 typically has a foam dielectric.  Has less loss than RG-213 but can't
handle the power.

73,

Jon
NA9D