[Towertalk] Tri-band beams - trap questions

John Silberman blkcat28@atlantic.net
Sun, 01 Sep 2002 08:10:32 -0400

I have two questions for the group. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

1.    Some older tribanders had traps that have a sort of fiber trap
cover, that is unavailable now.  Because its fiber and not aluminum like
the modern traps, the cover is not electrically part of the trap and any
non-conducting material can be used to make a trap cover for
weatherproofing?  Unlike the late beams that have aluminum trap covers
which are electrically part of the trap and have to be replaced with the
same thing.  The antenna in question is an old Cushcraft ATB-34, the
forerunner to the A4S.

2.    Since the trap is just that, and not a loading coil, one should be
able to replace the old style trap with a new style trap, and
vice-versa, as long as they are replace in pairs on that element?  One
may have to adjust the spacing between the 10 and 15m traps if they do
act as loading coils on the higher frequency?

Thanks!

John
KB4CRT