[Towertalk] Stripping paint from Rohn 45

Jerry Keller k3bz@arrl.net
Sun, 01 Sep 2002 13:55:38 -0400

By the way, Maury, on that same website  ...
http://www.stripmasterspor15.com/blast.htm ... there's a reference to
"POR15" paint.  Great stuff. Comes in silver (or aluminum) as well as clear
(primer) and black.  It adheres like CRAZY, even to rusted surfaces. Paint
Over Rust...P-O-R 15.....:-)  You'll see what I mean if you get any on your
hands... after it dries it's virtually impossible to remove.  Cyanacrylate
chemistry, I think, like super-glue.  I use it on antique cars, but I
haven't yet tried it on a tower.  Might be worth looking into.
Good luck.... Jerry K3BZ
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Maury Peiperl [mailto:MPeiperl@london.edu]
  Sent: Sunday, September 01, 2002 12:49 AM
  To: k3bz@arrl.net
  Subject: Re: [Towertalk] Stripping paint from Rohn 45

  Thanks Jerry!

  73
  Maury

  Jerry Keller wrote:

Sure ... contact the manager of a local airport and ask where the owners
gettheir planes blasted. Or look in the yellow pages under paint removal
andsandblasting.... what you're looking for is a place that can blast
using"plastic media" for paint removel. Also check
outhttp://www.stripmasterspor15.com/blast.htmGood luck!!   Jerry
K3BZ-----Original Message-----From: Maury Peiperl
[mailto:MPeiperl@london.edu]Sent: Saturday, August 31, 2002 3:10 PMTo:
k3bz@arrl.netSubject: Re: [Towertalk] Stripping paint from Rohn 45OK Jerry;
I'm interested....can you give me anything else to go on tofollow this
up?Many thanks / 73MauryJerry Keller wrote:
There is also a plastic abrasive which is used to remove paint quickly
fromaluminum aircraft panels without damaging the metal surface. Perhaps
thatwould work equally well for galvanized towers. Jerry K3BZ-----Original
Message-----From:
towertalk-admin@contesting.com[mailto:towertalk-admin@contesting.com]On
Behalf Of Maury PeiperlSent: Friday, August 30, 2002 2:42 PMTo:
towertalkSubject: [Towertalk] Stripping paint from Rohn 45Anyone got a quick
method for stripping FAA red & white from Rohn tower?My drill and wire brush
seem to be taking forever...though perhaps Ineed a different brush
bit.Thanks / 73Maury W3EF_______________________________________________Self
Supporting Towers, Wireless Weather Stations,
see web site:http://www.mscomputer.comCall 888-333-9041 to place your order,
mention you saw this ad and take anadditional 5 percent offany weather
mailing
listTowertalk@contesting.comhttp://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/tow
ertalk_______________________________________________Self Supporting Towers,
Wireless Weather Stations, see web site:
http://www.mscomputer.com
additional 5 percent off
any weather station