[Towertalk] Guy Anchor Question

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 03:47:30 -0600

Note that Mike's 4 X 4 wooden base under a flat plate is
also another EASY way to achieve an INSULATED Base
for direct feed of the tower as a vertical.

With guyed towers, there should be ZERO lateral forces
at the base, all vertical so the main concern for a base is
that it be able to support the weight and resolved guy
tensions.

I remember vividly seeing the 19 R25 140 ft. towers at W1EVT's
hilltop location.  EACH tower had a flat plate sitting on a
cinderblock base where the height of the cinderblocks
was adjusted so that each tower base was at the same
elevation for his wire arrays.  To the best of my knowledge
he did not cement the blocks and there was NO pier pin
in sight.  These towers have been standing for decades.

Tom  N4KG