[Towertalk] FAA Approved Tower

Jerry Keller k3bz@arrl.net
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 19:58:21 -0400

Since your tower was in place before the airport was built, I wonder why the
airport builders didn't have to consider existing structures when they filed
their applications, etc. If they had, all that would/should have been
cleared up before the airport plan was approved, wouldn't it? I realize
airports are municipal facilities, but don't they have to get FAA approval
for their site and building plans, including environmental and community
impact statements?
Jerry K3BZ

-----Original Message-----
From: towertalk-admin@contesting.com
[mailto:towertalk-admin@contesting.com]On Behalf Of Dan Robbins
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 3:11 AM
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [Towertalk] FAA Approved Tower

Several years ago, the city of Wasilla built a new airport outside of
town and just over a couple of miles away from my home.  From the top of
my tallest tower (160') I have a nice view of the whole airport.  At the
time they built the airport I checked with the FAA and there was no
problem.  Several years later I get a visit from the FAA and the FCC.
They now think my tower is in violation and will have to be reduced in
height or painted and lit with obstruction lights.

I garner a meeting with the FAA guy who has my case.  I explain things
to him and we go over the information.  I see a problem right away, the
point they used for the determination is not where I live. After
consulting a high resolution photomap, I see their point is on the next
road over, about 1/4 mile away.  Fortunately, I have a letter giving a
set of coordinates for the big tower as determined by a licensed
surveryor as part of a property survey.  Furthermore, I have a set of
coordinates (different datum) from a high-end GPS that averaged 999
readings.  On the photomap I can see my house and the clearing for the
towers.  The coordinates I provided fall right on the same spot.  On
this basis the FAA guy uses the new coordinates and recalculates the
figures. Bingo, my tower is OK.  A few days later I receive paperwork to
that effect and the FAA guy even called the FCC to let them know case
closed.

If you're putting in a new tower and have to file with the FAA, make
absolutely sure you have the exact location.  The program he used got
the elevation from a topo database, so the horizontal accuracy affects
the vertical accuracy, too.  If a new airport is going in nearby, or
there is a significant change (added runway, longer runway, heavier
aircraft, etc.) to a nearby airport, find out as soon as possible if it
will affect you.  It could save a lot of grief later on.

Dan KL7Y