[Towertalk] Mast Coupler

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 08:58:09 EDT

In a message dated 9/10/02 10:23:48 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
W4EF@dellroy.com writes:

> Warren, KE6LEA and I put together the flex-disc shock absorber
>  scheme pictured below for the M^2 OR-2800 rotator at W6UE:
>
>  http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~w6ue/KT/OR-2800-1.jpg

    Very nice installation. Here's some historical info:

Plus: With the addition of a shock absorber like this, the rotator capacity
can be increased by something like 20-30% since it decreases the torque
forces on the rotator inner workings.

Minus: Sometimes these torque forces tear the coupler apart and then you've
got real problems. M2 introduced one for their Orion some years ago but no
longer offer it because of problems. I don't think W6NL uses them anymore.
YMMV.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -